Caroline Flack’s assault case ‘officially closed’ as court receive star’s death certificate

Caroline Flack's assault case has reportedly been officially terminated as the court received the late star's death certificate.

The 40 year old, whose NTAs dress has been remade in an effort to aid the mental health charity Mind, was due to appear in court on March 4 to face charges of assault by beating after an altercation with her boyfriend Lewis Burton.

The TV star had pleaded not guilty to the charges, but took her own life hours after learning that the Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) would be pressing ahead with the case.

According to British law, formal evidence of a death must be given to terminate an active case. Since Caroline's death certificate was handed over to the court, the CPS has issued a discontinuance, which ends the litigation.

  • Love Island: The Reunion won't be airing after first winter series sees Paige and Finn win

  • Jeremy Kyle confirms return to spotlight almost one year after show was axed: ‘Watch this space’

A CPS spokesperson told The Sun Online: "Court proceedings against Caroline Flack came to an official end on February 25.

"By law we had to give formal evidence to the clerk of the court that the defendant was deceased. We had to provide a death certificate as a record that the defendant was deceased."

They continued: "Despite media coverage of Caroline’s death and public comments made by her family about her death we needed to make this a formality to close the case."

"It is a formality that had to be be done and now has been," the source added.

Caroline's management recently slammed the CPS for pressing ahead with they had called a "show trial" after her boyfriend Lewis Burton said he didn't support it.

In a statement, Francis Ridley of Money Talent Management said: “We are devastated at the loss of our client and friend Caroline Flack.

"In recent months Caroline had been under huge pressure because of an ongoing case and potential trial which has been well reported."

She continued: "The Crown Prosecution Service pursued this when they knew not only how very vulnerable Caroline was but also that the alleged victim did not support the prosecution and had disputed the CPS version of events.


"The CPS should look at themselves today and how they pursued a show trial that was not only without merit but not in the public interest. And ultimately resulted in significant distress to Caroline.

"Our thoughts are with Caroline’s family at this time."

But the CPS hit back at her management team, saying: "We have been asked questions about the role of the CPS in deciding whether to charge an individual with a criminal offence.

"The following information explains our role and approach. It is not a comment on any individual case."

Read More

Caroline Flack

  • Kerry Katona slams Fathers 4 Justice…
  • Ferne McCann breaks down as she open…
  • Tommy Fury and Molly-Mae Hague 'can'…
  • Sophie Gradon's mum slams government…
  • Caroline Flack’s close friend Dawn O’Porter says releasing her final text messages is a 'massive betrayal'

They added: "The CPS does not investigate allegations of crime, or choose which cases to consider. CPS prosecutors must review every case referred to us by the police, or other investigators.

"We provide expert legal advice early in investigations to help build strong cases, or identify where a suspect should not be charged.

“We do not decide whether a person is guilty of a criminal offence – that is for the jury, judge or magistrate – but we must make the key decision of whether a case should be put before a court.”

Source: Read Full Article