Among celebrities, Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson is particularly beloved. He’s active in his career, in the media, and on social media, where his fans avidly follow his day-to-day life. Until his recent retirement, he was also a professional wrestler in the World Wrestling Federation (WWF). Fans of The Rock appreciate him for his philanthropy and the relative lack of drama and strife in his personal life.
This love that fans have for the Rock meant that many were recently shocked and concerned by an announcement Johnson made on his social media page. But what was this announcement? And what’s happening now in Dwayne Johnson’s life following this announcement?
Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson
Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson entered the public eye as an athlete. He initially played football in college for the Miami Hurricanes and was going to join the Calgary Stampeders after graduation. However, he left early in his first season to become a wrestler, following in the path of many members of his family. He joined the WWF in 1996 and earned his nickname “The Rock” from the name of his first wrestling persona, Rocky Maivia. Johnson quickly grew tired of the Rocky Maivia persona and started only going by the Rock. By 1998, he had become a major star, and this led him into acting.
Johnson’s first acting role was as his own father on That ’70s Show. His first film roles were various action and comedy movies, including The Mummy Returns, Doom, and The Rundown. Eventually, he participated less in the WWF to focus on acting, with famous roles in films like The Game Plan and the Fast & Furious franchise, as well as hosting various reality programs on HBO. More recently, he voice acted as Maui in the Disney film Moana, and paid homage to his Polynesian heritage, as Johnson is Samoan on his mother’s side and connected to his cultural heritage.
Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson is very active on social media, and incredibly popular. His Instagram is currently the fourth most followed account on the platform, with nearly 200 million followers. It therefore follows that things announced via the Rock’s Instagram would get a lot of attention, and quickly.
On September 2, Johnson posted a video to Instagram announcing that he and his immediately family had all tested positive for coronavirus (COVID-19), which was “one of the most challenging and difficult things we had to endure as a family.” In his video, he said that they had all since recovered and “got through COVID-19 stronger and healthier.” He discussed what the disease had been like for them and how they got the disease. According to Johnson, his two daughters had minimal symptoms, while Johnson and his wife “had a rough go, but got through it.”
Johnson took new safety precautions after recovering
The Johnson family had contracted coronavirus from “very close family friends.” Johnson said that his family and these friends were both “incredibly disciplined,” and that the Johnson family had been “on lockdown since March.” Johnson stated that he wasn’t entirely opposed to occasionally having people over, but was going to institute “new rules” for his family, including regular testing and maintaining wellness even when not sick. Because of Johnson’s athletic background, he’s fairly healthy, and this likely contributed to his recovery.
Beyond describing what the experience was like for his family, Johnson gave advice to his fans. He advocated for staying healthy in general, for social distancing, and for wearing masks when out in public. All of his advice was solid. Overall, this down to earth discussion of his family’s experience and his reasonable advice has probably added to fans’ appreciation for the Rock.
Source: Read Full Article