Chris Froome facing nervous wait to be tested for Coronavirus after the UAE Tour was cancelled – The Sun

CHRIS FROOME is facing an anxious wait to be tested for Coronavirus after the UAE Tour was cancelled.

The four-time Tour de France champion confirmed the event had been cancelled with two days left and he was stuck in his hotel room in the Middle East.

Italian media claim the CBRN arrived at the race hotel, a unit which deals with "chemical, biological, radiological and nuclear" issues.

Froome, 34, tweeted: “It’s a shame that the UAE Tour has been cancelled but public health must come first.

“We are all awaiting testing and will remain at the hotel until further notice.

“I hope those affected make a speedy recovery and there aren’t any further cases.”

Team Ineos star Froome was returning to competitive riding for the first time in eight months after breaking his leg at the Criterium du Dauphine last June.

Team Ineos statement

"Following the cancellation of the #UAETour we are monitoring the situation closely. We will follow the guidance of the relevant authorities and support them in managing this situation. The health and safety of all staff and riders is paramount."

Mitchelton-Scott rider Adam Yates was given the overall win.

SunSports understands every member of the race – both staff and riders across every team – are being tested for the virus.

Everyone was told to remain in their hotel rooms before being seen by doctors.

If the tests are negative, they will be able to travel home as planned on Saturday or Sunday.

There are six Brits in the race – Froome, Yates, Mark Cavendish, Alex Dowsett, Charlie Quarterman and James Knox – and two Irishman.

Team Jumbo-Visma cycling said: “We have taken note of the cancellation of the UAE Tour due to the occurrence of the coronavirus.

“We wish all the people involved the very best, awaiting further developments."

Eurosport journalist Declan Quigley, who was covering the race, said: “Stuck in a hotel in Abu Dhabi. Could be here a while it seems.

“Hope everyone’s okay. I guess you can’t be too careful.”

There were also fears for the UCI Track Cycling World Championship after it emerged Danish rider Michael Morkov rode four stages of the UAE Tour before flying to Berlin to compete in the Velodrome action on Sunday.

DEADLY SPREAD: Coronavirus cases in the UK

ANOTHER two cases of coronavirus have today been confirmed in the UK – barely a month since the deadly bug first reached our shores.

The first cases were diagnosed on January 31 when a student and relative were tested positive in York.

The victims were quarantined in Newcastle as UK authorities vowed they would control the virus' spread.

However, by February 6 another patient was diagnosed with coronavirus.

The Brit – businessman Steve Walsh – contracted the bug in Singapore before travelling to the French Alps for a holiday before returning to his home in Hove, East Sussex.

He became known as a superspreader by unwittingly infecting a number of other Brits in France with him.

Mr Walsh, who since recovered, then infected another five people who were treated in the UK.

By February, another patient was taken to Guy's and St Thomas' after contracting coronavirus in China – bringing the total to nine.

Another four cases were recorded just a week later after being flown back to the UK from the plague cruise ship, the Diamond Princess.

The group had been quarantined in Arrowe Park but were quickly moved to a treatment centre.

And now today, Chief Medical Officer Professor Chris Whitty confirmed another two patients had tested positive.

The virus was passed on in Italy and Tenerife and the patients have been transferred to specialist NHS infection centres in Royal Liverpool Hospital and the Royal Free Hospital, London.


Source: Read Full Article