Pontin’s flat had ‘faeces on sofa bed, dead flies and mould’, family claims

Mouldy bedrooms, dead flies and spiders and faeces on the sofa bed are what a family visiting a Pontins resort claim to have been greeted by.

What was supposed to be a relaxing weekend with the family turned into a grim ordeal for Teresa Barbato who "couldn't believe" the Brean Sands resort expected her elderly and disabled relatives sleep on bunk beds.

The accommodation at the resort in Somerset was not what 21-year-old Teresa from Port Talbot thought she had booked for her partner, mum, granny and granny's partner.

After paying £130 for two apartments for three nights, they left after after just one night.

Teresa told Wales Online : "As soon as we opened the door we found problems. We couldn't believe they expected elderly, disabled people to sleep on bunk beds.


  • 'Pontins prison' nightmare as mum 'gets electric shock' on 'appalling' family break

  • Furious dad slams Pontins over 'filthy' apartment with 'mould everywhere'

"Also, my mother and I have fibromyalgia and my partner is 6ft 3ins tall so it wasn't appropriate for any of us.

"They ask the age and other details for people before they stay to 'allow the allocation of appropriate accommodation,' which this wasn't."

The "filthy" state of the holiday camp accommodation was clear from the moment they arrived they claim.


  • Restaurant owner's brutal response to customer's one star TripAdvisor review

  • Inside Pontins Brean Sands kitchen as ex-employee reveals revolting conditions

They found that one of the rooms had children's bunk beds in and they claim there was mould in the bedrooms, faulty electronics, and what they thought was faeces on a pull-out sofa bed.

Teresa received an email from Pontins shortly before the break to offer the family a free upgrade to a higher standard of apartment, called a Club Apartment, which they accepted.

But when they arrived on Friday, February 28, they were shocked.


Teresa's grandmother, Mary John, 68, and her grandmother's partner, Douglas Hookins, 73, both have disabilities.

"We thought a weekend away would be nice and let everyone forget about their problems for a bit," said Theresa.

"After seeing the state of the rooms, we said we'd make the best of a bad situation and just use the rooms as base but by the Saturday morning we'd had enough, we packed up and went home."

On Saturday, Teresa, who has asthma, says she woke up with a tight chest.

"I got out of bed on Saturday and stood right in a puddle of water, there was mould on the walls which must be what set off my asthma," she said. 

Her mother, Rebecca Barbato, was staying in the one bedroom chalet opposite and had problems of her own.

"There was a pool of water in the shower that must have been there for days because it had dead flies and spiders in it and there were black stains in the toilet," said Teresa.

"There were also exposed wires in the bathroom and my partner said 'imagine if a child touched those'.

"My mother pulled out the sofa bed and there was what looked like faeces on it."

Shortly after arriving on Friday, Teresa had been to the reception at Brean Sands and said the manager offered her a downgrade to standard apartments, but was told she would have to pay for electricity in the rooms if they decided to move.

She added that a cleaner was sent to their rooms as well but "all they did was let the water out of the shower basin and flush the toilet".

The family decided against the offered downgrade and made the two-hour drive back to Port Talbot on Saturday morning.

Teresa claims that she has since made a complaint on the Pontins Facebook page, but the post had since been deleted and her profile has been blocked.

She said that the family had often gone to Brean Sands for holidays in her childhood but that they had "no intention of going there again".

Mirror Online has approached Pontin's comment.

Source: Read Full Article