The widow of a soldier who lay dead in his room for three weeks has accused the Army of TWICE denying her husband justice.
Before his body was found on the Army base in January, L Cpl Bernard Mongan had been the victim of an alleged racist assault by seven soldiers – but despite a probe identifying suspects, none were charged.
Beth, 30, mum of his three daughters, said: “Bernie has been failed by the Army twice. He deserves justice.
"He was a victim of a hate crime yet the Army has failed to do anything.”
The soldier was allegedly attacked in a club by the gang of soldiers in November 2018 after he asked them to stop hassling a woman.
English-born L Cpl Mongan, an Iraq War veteran, was raised in Ireland.
He was allegedly abused as a “Taig ” and “terrorist” as the group kicked him repeatedly in the head.
Police later told his wife that the attack was “sectarian”.
All seven were said to be on a course at Catterick Garrison, where L Cpl Mongan was found dead on January 23. Police believe he had died around New Year.
A Royal Military Police officer saw the attack and is said to have given identifying details to investigators.
Shadow Defence Secretary Nia Griffiths said: “The MoD must conduct a full investigation.”
The MoD said police and Army probes into the death were continuing, adding: “L Cpl Mongan was the victim of an assault in November 2018 which is unrelated to bullying.
"This was reported to the RMP and the investigation remains ongoing.”
Source: Read Full Article