UK passenger still in isolation after Japan cruise ship coronavirus outbreak says ‘we’re being really well cared for’ after fellow ship Briton died of disease
- David Abel said he and his wife Sally are being ‘really well cared for’ in Japan
- Couple were aboard the Diamond Princess cruise liner when the virus broke out
- Mr Abel said in a YouTube video: ‘Our thoughts, our concern is for all of the families left behind. We are fortunate, we’re doing OK’
A UK passenger still in isolation after the Japan cruise ship coronavirus outbreak said today that he and his wife are being ‘really well cared for’ hours after a fellow British traveller died from the disease.
David Abel and his wife Sally were both on board the ship, where more than 700 tourists became infected, and are now undergoing treatment for the virus in hospital.
Mr Abel said in a YouTube video: ‘Sad news this morning, wasn’t it? We awakened to that, to hear that one of the Brits has sadly passed away in hospital out here in Japan.
‘Our thoughts, our concern is for all of the families left behind. We are fortunate, we’re doing OK, we’re being really, really well cared for.’
David Abel (pictured) said today that his thoughts were with the families left behind in the wake of the coronavirus and that he and his wife were being ‘really, really well cared for’
David’s wife Sally (pictured) is also with him in quarantine in Japan after being moved from the Diamond Princess ship
The Japanese Ministry of Health said the first Briton to die of coronavirus was the sixth person to succumb to the illness after travelling on the Diamond Princess.
A total of 705 of the ship’s 3,711 passengers and crew were found to be infected during the lockdown, sparking severe criticism of how Japanese authorities had handled the case.
Passengers were confined to their cabins on board the ship in what scientists described as an ideal breeding ground for the virus, with tourists also voicing concerns about the conditions on board.
The UK government eventually chartered a flight to airlift 32 people home from the cruise ship, but dozens of Britons remained in Japan.
Four of them were in hospital after testing positive, while others chose not to join the flight.
The four known British patients included honeymooner Alan Steele, who has since recovered and flown back to Britain where he is under quarantine in the Wirral.
Alan Steele, from Wolverhampton, was on his honeymoon with his wife, Wendy, when the coronavirus outbreak broke out on the Diamond Princess cruise ship
Only two of the other three British patients were named: David and Sally Abel, from Northamptonshire, who are in hospital in Japan.
Mr Abel yesterday posted footage of himself dancing in his hospital ward.
The 74-year-old father, who was on the cruise for his 50th wedding anniversary, was filmed dancing to ‘I’ve had the time of my life’ following his release from the bug-ridden Diamond Princess cruise liner on Thursday.
The video, uploaded to YouTube, was shared just days after their son Stephen and wife Roberta said the couple had been dealing with ‘nasty’ online trolls and urged people watching their videos to ‘be kind’.
They were accused of ‘milking it’ while living in quarantine.
Despite a quarantine imposed on the Diamond Princess, more than 600 people on board tested positive for the virus, with several dozen in serious condition.
Three more patients from England have tested positive for coronavirus today, bringing the total number of UK cases to 23 – as it’s revealed that more than more than 10,000 Britons have now been tested.
The three new cases – one in Gloucestershire, one in Hertfordshire and another in Berkshire – are being investigated and any individuals who had contact with the patients are now being traced.
The patient, from Surrey, is understood to be a man who was treated at Haslemere Health Centre before being transferred to Guy’s and St Thomas’ hospital in London. The health centre has opened today following a deep clean
People wearing face masks in Trafalgar Square, London, as the first case of coronavirus has been confirmed in Wales and two more were identified in England – bringing the total number in the UK to 20
Two of the patients had recently travelled back from Italy while the other had returned from Asia, Chief Medical Officer Professor Chris Whitty said.
The three cases – one in Gloucestershire, one in Hertfordshire and another in Berkshire – are being investigated and any individuals who had contact with the patients are now being traced.
The news comes as a hunt remains underway for an unknown coronavirus spreader in Surrey who gave the deadly illness to the UK’s 20th victim – the first Briton to catch it in Britain having not travelled abroad.
Source: Read Full Article