Family of dad, 51, who died after he was ‘punched at Screwfix’ are 'in pieces’ and have ‘never known trauma like it’

THE family of a "gentle" dad who died after he was allegedly punched in the head outside Screwfix during a 'queue-jumping row' say they 'devastated and in pieces'.

Witnesses suggested Andrew Webster, 51, was fatally injured after a 'row' with another man at the Screwfix branch in Gateway Trade Park, Warrington last Thursday.

It is thought that the dad-of-one was punched several times before he was rushed to Aintree Hospital in Liverpool for specialist care.

He died almost a week later.

Cops say a 24-year-old man arrested on suspicion of assault had been bailed pending further inquiries.

His wife Lisa, 42, and daughter Ruby, 11, have been visiting church as they try to come to terms with their grief.

Lisa's mother told the MailOnline: "Devastated is not the word. I have never known trauma like it.

"The family is in pieces – completely heartbroken."

Mr Webster's mother-in-law, who did not want to give her name, wept as she spoke of the family's grief.

She said: "Lisa had to find a way to tell Ruby. She knows what happened now.

"They have gone to church.

"We're still in the dark over what happened but Lisa is speaking to the police later."

Lisa described her husband as the "gentlest of men" and said he had not known his assailant before the attack. 

Staff at the store refused to confirm rumours that the argument began over queue jumping.

The store has seen large queues recently because it is operating under a limited service due to coronavirus.

Another trader nearby said he had been told the two men got into a row, possibly because one of them jumped the queue, and Mr Webster was hit four times.

In a tribute on Facebook, Mr Webster's wife Lisa said: "I want you all to know he was my true hero.

"He was just the most amazing, bravest guy."

A Cheshire Police spokesperson said: "A man who was seriously injured in an assault in Warrington has sadly died.

"Shortly after 10am on Thursday, July 2 police were called to reports of an altercation between two men on Gateway Trade Park, Kerfoot Street, Warrington.


"Officers attended the scene and found a 51-year-old man with serious injuries.

"Andrew Webster from Warrington was taken to hospital but sadly died. His family are being supported by specialist officers.

"As part of enquiries into the circumstances a 24-year-old man was arrested and has since been released on bail pending further enquiries."

Detective Sergeant Candice Sivori said cops believe the row was an "isolated incident".

"We have an increased police presence in the area to provide reassurance and I would urge anyone with any concerns to speak to an officer," she said.

"While we have made an arrest we are continuing to appeal for information from the public.

"We’re keen to hear from anyone who witnessed the incident, or anyone with any information which may assist with our investigation.

"The same goes for anyone who was driving in the area at the time of the incident and thinks they may have dashcam footage which may be relevant to the investigation.

"I’d urge anyone with any information to contact Cheshire Police on 101 quoting IML-744483."

Source: Read Full Article