Thugs face life in jail after being convicted of drive-by murder

Thugs face life in jail after being convicted of drive-by murder when they shot man in the face then went to fast food restaurant to celebrate

  • Ty Blake and Sharn Miles have been found guilty of the murder of James Teer
  • Teer, 20, was shot dead after Miles pulled up on his road in Erdington in August
  • Blake and Miles were caught on CCTV ordering chicken and chips minutes later
  • Lauren Malin, from Coventry, was cleared of murder but convicted of burglary

Two callous killers who celebrated with a takeaway minutes after blasting a man in the face with a shotgun have been convicted of his murder.

Ty Blake, who pulled the trigger, and Sharn Miles, who drove the men to and from the scene, were found guilty by a Birmingham Crown Court jury after a six-week trial.

James Teer, 20, was shot dead after Miles pulled up on the victim’s road in a stolen car and called him over in Erdington on August 8 last year.

Teer then approached the driver’s side window where Blake, who was sitting in the passenger seat of the BMW, unloaded both barrels into his head.

Leaving their victim lying in the street, Blake, 19, and Miles, 20, both from Birmingham, then got rid of the gun, before casually strolling into a fast food restaurant.

Ty Blake, who pulled the trigger, and Sharn Miles, who drove the men to and from the scene, were found guilty of the murder of James Teer, 20, after a six-week trial

CCTV showed the men ordering chicken and chips, with Blake seen holding a tissue to his lip which had been cut by the gun’s powerful recoil.

Detectives who brought the two men to justice described the killing – triggered by an altercation at a Birmingham nightclub a week earlier – as ‘horrific’. 

‘It was callous, it was point-blank,’ said Detective Chief Inspector Scott Griffiths, of West Midlands Police. ‘There was only one outcome.’ 

He added: ‘About a week prior to the murder, James was in a nightclub with friends.

‘One of his friends had an altercation with Miles It’s as a result of that, Sharn Miles sourced a shotgun and stole a BMW, then sought out James and his friends.’

Opening the case for the prosecution at the start of the trial, Michael Burrows QC, told jurors that Blake had said to the victim ‘What g’wan, JT? – what’s going on JT?’ 

The barrister described how one moment Mr Teer had been ‘happy and smiling’, and the next he was lying on his back with fatal wounds. 

The loud noise of the blast from the 12-gauge shotgun was captured on nearby CCTV. 

Pictured: CCTV footage of Miles and Blake as they head into a takeaway restaurant minutes after the murder

‘It’s horrific. James was just being his normal self, keeping fit, socialising with people,’ Mr Griffiths added. 

‘He was really well-liked and known by a lot of people. What played out on the evening of August 8 is that Ty Blake and Sharn Miles came into that area with a purpose.

‘That purpose was to kill somebody and that’s what happened.’

The first person to rush towards the scene after the shooting was an off-duty nurse, who on seeing the gravity of Mr Teer’s injuries, realised they were fatal.

The man quickly covered Mr Teer with a coat to protect the victim’s dignity and spare others – including Mr Teer’s young friends – from the sight.

Mr Griffiths said: ‘A member of the community who is a nurse and used to dealing with injuries such as this… could see the injuries were fatal.

‘This has had a lasting effect not just on people who were there, but also the young people playing with James who have been extremely traumatised by this incident and the level of violence.’

After the shooting the killers drove a short distance, dropping the gun at Miles’ home, before going to the nearby takeaway.

Pictured: Teer, who was shot dead as he played football with friends in Erdington on August 8 last year

Mr Griffiths said: ‘They purchased food and consumed it within 30 minutes of James’s death, showing no signs of emotion.

‘They were absolutely callous in relation as to how they carried out this attack.

‘It is so hard to understand that somebody could react in such a plain way after causing such injuries to another person.’

Miles fled the country to France through Dover port shortly after the killing but was arrested on August 13 having returned to the UK. Blake was arrested at home two days later. 

The men had used a high-performance BMW in the killing, stolen off the driveway of a home in Leicestershire hours before the attack.

Miles drove the car from the owner’s address, parking it a few streets from his Birmingham home, before changing the number plates to make it harder to trace.

He then picked up Blake – who had sourced the gun – from his home, and within the hour Mr Teer was dead.

At their trial, both men accepted being in the car during the shooting, but each said the other had pulled the trigger.

Jurors deliberated over three days before unanimously convicting Blake and Miles of murder. Blake was also found guilty of theft and burglary relating to the car used in the shooting.

Jurors cleared a third defendant, 20-year-old Lauren Malin, from Coventry, of murder but convicted her of burglary.

Miles, from Alum Rock, Birmingham, briefly bowed his head as he was found guilty of murder, while Blake, of Shustoke Road, Shard End, pursed his lips and stared at the judge.

All three defendants will be sentenced on Thursday.  

Source: Read Full Article